Tuesday, September 18, 2012

You Light Up My Life

Are you singing that song now?  I did.  All day.  Since it made me laugh I had to keep it as the title.  Having a terrific sense of humor is my cross to bear.  And my husbands' to endure.

For someone who is not really a lamp person I have some amazing lamps.  I say that they are amazing because as I see them in my house I am amazed that they are mine and they give me that little thrill that a really good find does.

Exhibit A

Emily Henderson




See that awesome Arc table lamp?  I have two (eeeeeeeee!!!!!!).  Sorry, I just really, really love them.  I currently have our lamps in our bedroom and as it is not quite as photo ready as the office above we will use the brilliant work of Emily Henderson to showcase Exhibit A.  Isn't that an amazing office?  I wish.  I hope.  I aspire.  To work in such a room.  Of course my current office looks absolutely nothing like that one but I like to pretend that I sit in that awesome blue room with my awesome lamp and write witty blog posts all day long. Not really. But I could.

Wanna know where I got them?  Craigslist.  If you are a lover of vintage get thee to CL.  I have given thanks to Craig and his list many, many times.

Exhibit B




Another CL find. I kinda hate to admit this but I seriously stalked this mid century Venetian glass lamp. As soon as I saw it I wanted it but the price was out of my reach. As much as I loved it I was also not 100% certain if it was worth it.  Months later I was searching CL again and saw that it was still available and the price had been lowered.  It was still a bit too high so that was when the serious stalking began. I kept checking back and finally it was in a range I could live with. I also searched the internet and found a pair on 1st Dibs for  - HELLO! insert insanely crazy list price for the pair here.  After seeing them there I sorta kinda had to have it.  Immediately.  So my husband and I did what any normal couple would do.  We went out in a monsoon to get it.  Blinding rain, trees down, power poles down and flooding did not get between me and my soon to be new old lamp.

 No plans at the moment to sell and even if I did I would not ask or expect any where near that 1st Dibs price but it's nice to know that some exclusive dealer in LA is as smitten with this lamp as I am.  The person I bought it from (the very same who sold me the arc lamps above) thought that it was from Marbro.  Which I believe is a Scandinavian company that had lamps produced in Venice.  I have no idea if that is true.  What I am certain of is that I love it. Truly.

Exhibit C

ModModModInc.

Once again this mid century marble base lamp by T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings is not my lamp.  My lamp, which has a metal neck, is in my garage being neglected (yes my head is hanging in shame).  Soooo..... here's the deal.....

I bought my lamp eons ago when I lived on 29th St. between 5th & Bway in Manhattan.  At the time, my best friend Craig and I lived in the same building.  He lived one flight directly above me.  We banged on the water piped and yelled out the window when we needed to chat or some sugar or a cigarette or just 'cause we were bored.  We were young, witty (think Will & Grace, only funnier), and thrifters/garbage pickers who would often head over to the 26th St. market on Sunday mornings.  Which is where I found my lamp.  Did I mention that it's marble?  And heavy.  And somehow Craig managed to carry it home and up three flights of stairs.  I might have helped a little bit.  

This lovely lamp then came with me to Tucson, then Berkeley, then to Brooklyn.  Somewhere between Berkeley and Brooklyn the socket get a bit dinged and as it was never a favorite of my husbands and I had two young kids at that time it got placed in the wasteland called "STORAGE" (head still hanging in shame).  When we moved again to Tucson (are you dizzy yet?) we actually left it behind.  It was a bad last-minute-late-night-crazy-move decision.  Which I quickly regretted.  At the time I had no idea about the value or style of this lamp.  I even tried to sell it, on CL of course, before the move and am glad the guy that came out to Bklyn from Manhattan did not buy it.  He did tell me that he thought it might be a Robsjohn-Gibbings which did not mean much to me at the time.  I'm not 100% certain mine is a Robsjohn-Gibbings but it is certainly in the style of and that's just fine by me.  

By the way, the lamp in the photo is being sold by ModModMod, Inc., which just happens to have an amazing selection of mid century modern furniture, decor, art and oodles more and also just happens to be run by my friend Craig & his sister Jaime.  Go check them out and find something you love ( and have to have).  Tell them Hot Cool Vintage sent you.  

One last note, as penance for my husband for kind of insisting that we not let the movers take the lamp  from Bkly to Tucson he got to carry it home to Tucson on the plane.  All 50 pounds of it.  Ouch.

There you go, me and my lamps.  They light up my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment